Whole Grain Risotto
I use emmer wheat for this dish instead of risotto rice: risotto rice is white and not a whole grain. For a wheat and gluten free version use buckwheat groats instead.
Gluten, wheat free: use buckwheat instead of emmer wheat; use a suitable stock
Nut free: replace walnuts with your favourite seeds
Soya free: use suitable stock
Yeast free: omit nutritional yeast and use suitable stock
This is a vegan recipe
- 2 onions (peeled and sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped finely)
- 1 cup emmer wheat
- about 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 – 1 head broccoli (cut into small florets)
- a good handful asparagus (chopped into inch pieces)
- 2 good handfuls kale
- about 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tin butter beans (drained)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice (to taste)
- walnuts (to serve)
Pour a few tablespoons of stock into your pan and add the onions and garlic. Sauté until soft.
Add the emmer wheat and a little more stock. Keep moving the wheat around and add stock every time the pan starts to dry out. You will probably need about 4 cups of stock. The wheat is cooked when it is soft but still a little chewy. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile steam the broccoli, asparagus and kale. I cook these vegetables separately so that they are less likely to finish up under or over cooked.
Once the wheat is cooked add the frozen peas, butter beans and steamed vegetables. Season with nutritional yeast, black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Serve scattered with a handful of crushed walnuts.