Vegan Carrot Cake
This wholefood Cake is full of carrots, fruit, nuts and wholegrain.
Free from: gluten, oil, wheat, yeast
Nut free: use suitable plant milk and omit walnuts
Soya free: use suitable milk
This is a vegan recipe
- 4 medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 ripe banana (chopped)
- 1.5 cup plant milk (unsweetened cashew or soya work well)
- 1 tbsp milled chia or linseed
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour (or more oats)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g grated carrot (about 3 carrots, peeled)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional, chopped)
Mix your wet ingredients together and allow to soak for 15 minutes or so.
In a food processor add the dry ingredients and blitz to a flour.
Tip the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir in the carrots and walnuts (if using).
Add the wet ingredients to the food processor and blitz to make a chunky milkshake. Pour the milkshake into the dry ingredients and stir through.
Pour the mixture into a lined 2lb loaf tin and bake at 170C for about 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden and springy. Cool on a wire rack.