Oil Free Creamy Hummus
You can replace the oil in hummus with water or plant milk. I personally find that unsweetened cashew milk makes for the most creamy hummus, though unsweetened soya milk will work too. If you use water I think it’s best to leave the hummus a bit more rustic and chunky.
There are countless variations of this recipe:
- replace the chickpeas with other legumes such as sprouted beans, canellini or borlotti beans
- add in vegetables such as cooked beetroot, spinach or roasted red peppers
- add herbs and spices such as coriander leaf, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, turmeric and / or chilli flakes
Free from: gluten, oil, wheat, yeast
Nut, soya free: use suitable plant milk
This is a vegan recipe
- 1 tin chickpeas (drained)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp plant milk or water (I like Plenish or Rude Health cashew milk)
- pinch garlic granules
- salt (to taste)
Blitz all the ingredients in a food processor. Add the milk or water a little at a time to produce the correct consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.