These cakes are sweetened with fruit and blackstrap molasses: no refined sugar here! They are oil free and full of good stuff: nuts, whole grain and fruit. Plus they are delicious.
Gluten, wheat free: use suitable oats and replace wheat flour with buckwheat
Soya free: use suitable plant milk or water
This is a vegan recipe
- 1 medium banana (mashed)
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp plant milk or water
- 2 heaped tbsp nut butter
- 2 medjool dates (pitted and finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds or shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp plain whole wheat flour
Mash the banana and add the blackstrap molasses, nut butter and plant milk. Mix thoroughly.
To the banana mixture add dried fruit and mix again.
Now mix in the oats, ground almonds / hemp seeds and flour. The mixture will be thick.
Blob onto a lined baking tray: the more uneven they are the more crispy bits you’ll get! Bake at 175C for about 15 minutes. They're done when they start to brown slightly on the outside.